Some Answers to Common Questions

Contact Us


What is the difference between temporary work easement and a permanent easement?

A pipeline takes more space to build than it does to operate. During construction, the strip of land impacted is wider than what it will be once in operation. A temporary work easement allows a pipeline company to construct the pipeline. Following construction, the permanent easement is what the pipeline company will use to operate its pipeline.

What depth is a pipeline buried?

A pipeline is buried at least 48″ from the surface of the ground to the top of the pipeline. Just as you do not want pipelines to interfere with your day-to-day activities, we do not want your day-to-day activities to interfere with pipelines. A depth of 48″ is well below plow depth and ensures that you can continue day-to-day activities with minimal risk of striking a pipeline unless you are excavating.

Why are above ground appurtenances (valve sets) needed on pipelines?

Above ground appurtenances, or valve sets, serve several functions. The most important of which is safety. In the highly unlikely event that an emergency situation arises, valve sets allow the pipeline to be shut-in, or shut-down, so that no additional natural gas or crude oil makes it to the point of the emergency. Other than safety, valve sets allow for “pigs” to be sent through the pipeline. Pigs serve two primary purposes, which are (1) to remove any liquids stuck in low points and (2) to measure the integrity of the pipeline to ensure it continues to be safe to operate.

When will I be paid after signing a grant?

After signing a Right-of-Way Grant, we will conduct a title review to confirm ownership of your property. Payment will be delivered no later than 20 business days (approximately 1 calendar month), but we do our best to make payment within 10 business days (approximately 2 calendar weeks) whenever possible.

Am I selling my property if I sign a grant?

When you sign a Right-of-Way Grant, you are not selling your property. You are selling the right for a third party to use your property, but you retain ownership of the property. You can maintain, farm, ranch, or otherwise use the property as you always have so long as you do not interfere with the rights granted to the third party or violate the terms of the Right-of-Way Grant.

What are options and why am I being offered an option instead of a grant?

On some projects, Inked offers options instead of grants. With an option, we initially pay for only a portion of the grant (the “Option Payment”). Following delivery of the Option Payment, we have a specific time period (the “Option Period”) to pay for the grant in full. If the agreed upon price is not paid in full prior to the expiration of the Option Period, you keep the Option Payment without having a right-of-way or easement across your property. Options are used when a project has some sort of uncertainty or risk. That uncertainty or risk can be technical, operational, political, or financial.

Does payment for a grant include payment for damage to crops?

Typically, payment for a grant does include payment for damage to crops. This will be clearly written into an offer letter or compensation agreement during the agreement phase of the right-of-way process.

When will construction be completed?

Whenever possible, construction will be completed outside of growing seasons. Occasionally, construction needs to occur during a growing season. If this is the case, we will do everything we can to minimize impact on your day-to-day lives and day-to-day farming or ranching operations.

Maximize the Value of Your Projects